Thursday, February 7, 2008

Photos, Superbowl, CBS,

You should notice I've now added photos to my blog. Once I get all the photo stuff on my computer working, I'll have a lot more good photos. And, since you all want to see that I have not gotten super fat in Denmark, many of them will have me in them. The big issue is that I don't have that much space on my computer. I'm getting an external hard drive soon and until then I'm figuring out how to store them online. As a result, lots of them are sideways and such. Once I get all this to work, hopefully within the next week, I'll put lots of pictures up so that everyone can enjoy them.

Now onto my life. .
On Sunday I explored Copenhagen with some of my friends. Pictures and interesting details to follow. Standard European walk: lots of castles, government buildings, monuments and water. A lot of it is interesting, but so much more interesting with pictures, so I will get back to that.

Sunday night, I stayed up until 4AM to watch the Superbowl with all my friends, Danes and American. The Danes were as into it as we were (well almost, there were a few die-hard American fans). We also had lots of burgers, beer and wings; food fit for fat Americans. A few hours later I had class all day. I somehow was very attentive.

On Tuesday, I voted near school with Democratics Abroad. It was cool because my absentee ballot didn't come in the mail and I still got to vote.

On Wednesday, a few of us went to a career fair at Copenhagen Business School (CBS). I did not go with the intent of looking for a job, but just wanted to see what was out there, see another part of Copenhagen and another Danish environment. The fair still proved interesting. A notable difference is that the Danes don't usually do summer internships. Instead, you just work throughout your studies and then they hire you afterwards. I think a Master's degree also has more power in Denmark because many of the jobs require that one be pursuing a Master's degree. Maybe the degree just isn't as strongly emphasized to college students in the US.
After a representative from Nordea Bank told us about the differences that I mentioned above, I spoke to two other representatives. One from an unnamed energy company(my blog is now linked to the DIS website) was not very smart. I asked him how he balanced selling oil and gas with developing sustainable energy. He found it very difficult to answer such a simple question. He discussed profit, but when I asked him about his long term goals, where he saw the company in 50 years, he could not even answer. My friends and I went in small groups, so I was with a few other students. We were curious about whether stumping the representative of a company is a good thing. Luckily, I don't want to work there anyway.

Now, I finally get to use a picture in describing something. Another representative I spoke to was from Vestas. From what I have read, Vestas is a great company. Their goal is to get wind power on par with oil and gas. Thus, they attempt to make a profit by putting up windmills. The picture is of off shore windmills in Denmark. They are usually off shore because people don't want loud windmills in their back yard. I think this is a great way to do business, profit being driven by a cause that helps the environment. In addition, I think wind power means less of an investment in shady foreign countries. They have summer internships, but not in Philadelphia where I have to be this summer to take classes. I'm definitely going to keep track of this business because they have rotating employment. For 2 years, an employee would spend 8 months in difference cities all over the world, working at different offices. I think one is supposed to be pursuing a Master's degree at the same time or something, but I'll research that when the time comes.

CBS is also a great resource. They have talks about business in developing countries. I may attend a few, because some of the topics look interesting. For example, one is about if businesses invested capital in a social and developmental perspective. They also have a bar that students attend, so it would be a good place to meet more Danes.

Afterwards, we went to see the Chinese New Year. It was really cool. They had some people dancing in costumes and then shot fireworks off a building.
Pretty cool, huh?

Today, I had class all day. In Holocaust and Genocide, we had a speaker about the Armenian genocide. It was really interesting when he discussed genocide denial for people's interests. Many reasonable minded politicians deny the Armenian genocide because of Turkey's power. He discussed how academia is a search for truth, while politicians have so many objectives. It seems like an obvious statement, but seeing it applied to genocide and coming from western politicians(not from Iran), puts a new spin on it.

1 comment:

Martin said...

Very interesting! Obvious, like you say, but I never quite thought of it like that.