Monday, April 28, 2008

weekend in Arhus

The weekend of April 26, I went to Arhus with my lacrosse team. It was such an awesome time. We road tripped it down in three cars(showing how small the team was). I'm starting to get a sense of how expensive it is to drive in Denmark. I'm not sure if I mentioned new cars are taxed 100-200%. I was in a small car with 3 other guys and my share of gas money was 300 kroners for about 6 hours of driving. In other words, over $60. Crazy, huh?

The day of the tournament was one of my favorite days in Denmark. I slept the whole way down and then we watched a game. After the game we played team Copenhagen, who apparently wanted to beat us really bad. While I was on travel break we had beaten them in an exhibition game and supposedly they had never lost a real game to a Danish team on Danish soil. They had three other American kids, so I think we weren't expected to win. It was an intense 80 minute game(long for a lacrosse game). We came back from three goals down in the third quarter to win 13-8. We scored seven goals in a row and they were speechless. I think I had 4 or 5 points in the 7 goal run. What was cool was at home I usually just catch and shoot and let other people do the work.

In Denmark, I basically ran the show on offense and had to run over the half line sometimes to carry the ball up for my team. What was also cool was our team was basically a bunch of ho-boes. We didn't have uniforms or matching equipment.Team Copenhagen was all decked out with matching gear and stuff. We also had two subs who had each been playing lacrosse for less than a year. They had eight subs. So, we really worked for our win.

After playing Copenhagen, we had a half hour to rest. Then we played team Arhus. They played a zone, so we only beat them 5-2. We were really tired, so just held onto the ball the whole time.

The night was amazing too. Most of us stayed with one of the Arhus guys. His family was really nice and cooked us breakfast the next day. The night was wild. We went all over the town. My team had maybe one Dane on it and then people from all over. A few Americans, Irish, Dutch etc. Arhus was cool because it's the second largest city in Denmark, but doesn't get many tourists. So our English speaking was a huge plus. We would do our team cheers in the street and Danish girls actually thought it was cool.

More to come, lots of exciting stuff in Copenhagen now that the weather is getting nice.

1 comment:

JDeLaughter said...

Dear Jeremy,

I'd like to invite you to participate in a research project I am conducting on study abroad blogs and bloggers for my Masters in Internatinoal Education. If you are willing to help, please send me your email at jesse.delaughter@mail.sit.edu, and I will send you the interview questions. It will probably take you about 15 minutes to complete.

Thanks!
-Jesse DeLaughter