Monday, August 3, 2009

Training

Training is real busy and my training village doesn't have internet. I'll try to bring everyone up to speed and fill you all in on what I've been up to. Yet again, I'm a little bit rushed because we have to be at training soon, but hopefully this all makes sense.

We left Phnom Penh for Takeo Province which is two hours away. We stayed in a hotel for a few nights and had seminars all day about safety, langauge, culture and our work, among other things.

Then we split up to go to to training villages. I was placed in Triang with half the volunteers. We will be there for the next two weeks except when we go to the District Capital for Seminar days where the whole group is together. We are there now and got there a bit early, so I am able to get on the internet for a few minutes.

My host family is really nice. They speak all Khmer which is helping me learn. I can actually kind of speak it, but the pronunciation is a little difficult. I'm learning a lot though. I live with a mother and father. They have a son who speaks a little bit of English. He lives in Phnom Penh, with his wife and child, but we speak on the phone sometimes and he came to visit. His daughter (my niece) is afraid of me. My family thinks its hilarious.

I think my arrangement is perfect. My family is nice and patient with me. And there is an English speaker available (in addition to my language and cultural facilitator who trains me during the day), but for the most part I am immersed in Khmer at home.

Here is a typical day for me when I am in my training village. This encompasses Monday- Saturday for the most part:

5:30 AM wake up. I take a bucket shower and brush my teeth. I am lucky that my family has electricity.
6:30 Meet up with my language group (four other people) for breakfast. I have rice, pork and vegetables for about 75 cents. Then I take my malaria pill after I eat.
7-11 Intensive language class with my five-person group. Sometimes groups combine and we have ten people. I like the way we learn languages. We do a lot of speaking and conversations, and do interactive activities like go to the market to learn to bargain. For the most part, we are just learning to speak and listen. I hope to teach myself some writing when I get to my permanent site.
11-1 Go home for lunch with my family and nap. Maybe do a little cleaning.
1-4 or 5. Learn about teaching English in Cambodia
5-7 Eat dinner and study Khmer. Try to chat with my family.
At least 60% of what i eat is rice. Some cool things I've eaten:
chicken foot
ants
awesome tropical fruits
7 Wash myself with the bucket and get ready for bed.
8-9:30 read and go to sleep

That's a typical day for me. Sorry for the lack of pictures. I miss everyone.

No comments: