Saturday, January 23, 2010

Some New Photos

Here are a few more pictures. There’s a lot here, so please ask me questions.

The second public speaking workshop went quite well. The students learned how to write a speech and watched Obama and MLK. We explained the significance and profound impact of MLK and had the students work in groups to make and present their own speeches about their dreams.

Here’s a student introducing himself to the group:

From public speaking 1-21-10


Here are some of the students working in groups to make the dream speeches:

From public speaking 1-21-10


On Sunday, I joined a march with students and teachers, organized by a local NGO. The purpose was to encourage parents to keep their children in school. Girls are sometimes pulled out of school earlier than boys, so we also tried to promote keeping girls in school as long as boys. Taking on these issues presents a variety of daunting challenges, but the march itself was inspiring and fun. The march was 6km and many of the Khmer people were very tired after. I took some pictures of the march and some pictures of the scenery.

From 1-17-10 mostly march


From 1-17-10 mostly march


From 1-17-10 mostly march


After the march, there were some light refreshments. This is me racing one of my students to eat a banana.

From 1-17-10 mostly march



I got pretty competitive and then thought I won, but I think he beat me by a second.

From 1-17-10 mostly march



On the way to the walk, I took some pictures of my neighborhood.

This is the road by my house.

From 1-17-10 mostly march


This is the shop my host family owns and works at. The left is a pharmacy. The right has a clothing shop and a place to exchange money (dollars, Khmer currency and Vietnamese currency since we are close to the border)

From 1-17-10 mostly march


These are some of my neighbors who I chat with a lot.

From 1-17-10 mostly march


(Khmer people usually don’t smile for pictures)

From 1-17-10 mostly march


From 1-17-10 mostly march


From 1-17-10 mostly march

No comments: