Monday, November 8, 2010

I can’t stress enough how often I’m asked about money and marriage. Here are highlights of three typical conversations from the last two days:

1.When returning from Phnom Penh, I need to take a ferry across the Mekong River. While waiting for the ferry, all the travelers are swarmed by sellers and beggars. I usually take this time to stretch my legs after sharing a vehicle with way too many people.

Last time I was stretching my legs, I got curious about a basket a woman had on her head. I asked the seller and she told me they were frogs. Two other sellers then realized I could speak Khmer and started asking me the usual questions – what’s my nationality, how long have I been in Cambodia, what am I doing here etc.

Then the question turned to marriage and one of the other women asked me if I “wanted” the frog seller. I said no, but she persisted that she would make beautiful children for me. I politely said no thanks.

2.Two or three policemen “patrol” the corner near my house where the dirt road meets the highway. They usually just stand around while nearly everyone who rides by on a motorbike breaks the law by not wearing a helmet. I speak to them a lot when I’m on my way to school.

During our conversation today, they asked me what I will do when I go back to America (most people assume that I don’t actually have to look for a job, I’ll just automatically have one). I always say I want to be a teacher. Then they asked how much teachers make and told me, unsolicited, that they only make $70 a month and wanted to know what police make in America. They were shocked that I didn’t know.

They also asked me when I’ll be getting married. I said maybe in three of four years and they said I would be too old. Then they suggested I get a Khmer wife.

3.At school, two female students I don’t know came to talk to me. After asking me how many siblings I have, and commenting on my Khmer language ability, they asked me how much money I spend in a month. Then one of the girls asked me in English, “doesn’t you married yet?” I said no, I'm only 24. But, she said I was so old and should get married.

So here I am, 24 years old, not married and I don’t know how much money police in America earn in a month.

No comments: