Saturday, November 13, 2010

Thanksgiving in Cambodia

American holidays give us a little taste of home. Celebrating Thanksgiving together has become a tradition for the Peace Corps Volunteers working in my province. However, our Thanksgiving was far from traditional.

Since they don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, there are no days off for it. So, we celebrated it a bit early. Thanksgiving ingredients are also not easily accessible. And, unlike volunteers in another province, we did not want to go through the trouble of buying our own turkey($12) and killing it ourselves.

By not being traditional about our Thanksgiving, we were able to enhance it. Rather than only enjoying one meal, we cooked and feasted all day and shared our food with my friend's Cambodian host family.

Breakfast included orange juice, a delicious egg scramble and banana pancakes.


Lunch was Mexican food (very American, I know). Here's us with some of the food:


We rolled the tortillas with beer cans.


And then we made pies and brownies for dessert in the late afternoon. The leaves were mailed by the family of another volunteer and kept in an envelope.


To make the pies and brownies, we went down the street to use a local bread oven. When I asked about the temperature of the oven, the young girl told me it was "hot enough." The high tech oven:


So, which looks more tasty: our American food or traditional Cambodian fish paste (prohok), which I am still mostly unable to eat?

1 comment:

Denise said...

That fish paste is delicious, but you really don't want to see how they make it.

Denise

P.S. Your dad is a friend of my cousin and he gave me your blogsite.

It's wonderful. I've been to Cambodia and blogged about it but really only saw it as a tourist, so am going to avidly read you so I know what it's like from your side of things.